Wednesday 29 May 2013

Dressmaking

It's half term. The weather has been so miserable that I had to take the children to an indoor play area. I hate those places with a passion. They dare to charge an arm and a leg and I have to pay £1.20 to supervise my own children. Staying in for another day was not an option though. Swimming pool was not that appealing. Partly because I took them there earlier in the week and one adult trying to supervise one non-swimmer and one overconfident semi swimmer is not great. So indoor play area it was.  

To calm myself after the delights of noisy indoor play I decided to make a new dress for daughter 1. Simplictiy 4721. I have made it in several sizes (I like to trace the pattern for the right size required rather than cut it out. Makes it last a little longer) and know it's an easy pattern with great results.
 Daughter chose this lovely fabric by Timeless Treasures called Amelia a while ago when it was in the sale.
 I bought 1.8 metres, as directed by the envelope, but I have loads left over. I think I needed about 1.5 meters. Is it any wonder that my scraps pile never seems to shrink?
 Lining is also cut. Weather permitting I can get it sewn by the end of tomorrow. As is if it's good weather I can send children into garden and not worry about entertaining them. ;-)

I am linking to Freshly pieced WIP wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting fabric, not typical for girlie dress. My daughter prefers pink one :) And maybe the leftover is for a hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out why I had left over fabric. I only cut pattern piece 5 twice and should have cut it four times. This is what happens if you have made something several times and you think you don't need to read the instructions ;-)

      Delete
  2. That dress is going to be lovely. I love the fabric she chose - very fresh and bright. I'm in the middle of making one for my daughter #2 at the moment - trying something new, eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplicity patterns are on the whole very easy to follow, I find. McCalls have good instructions too I find. I found dress making for the daughters easier than I had feared. Mind you there have been a few mistakes on the way. We will gloss over those and never mention the pJ bottom bodged up.

      Delete