Wednesday 18 July 2012

Embroidery

Last year was not a good year for my family. My three grandparents died, Husband's uncle passed away and another of Husband's aunt's divorced. So a bit like that film with Hugh Grant but different :-)

I inherited some embroidery from my Grandma.

Butterflies
 I remember the butterflies, they always used to hang near the door to the kitchen.
 This one I can not remember seeing. My father found it when he and my aunts were clearing the house. It's very long and tiny cross stitch.
 Father remembers my grandmother making it. He really loves it. I like it because the colours go well in our living room. :-)
This is the one I really love. I feel slightly guilty about that because I know it wasn't made by my grandmother. I was made by one of her friends. She passed away a long time ago. I know we went to see her in hospital when I was 8. She was still stitching then even though she had really bad rheumatism. She was a lovely lady as far as I can recall.

The problem with the bell pull with the chickens is that it's a bit grubby. I did hang next to the door and generations of grandchildren and great grandchildren have put their little sweaty prints over it. It's at least 38 years old probably older. It would have been nice if they had been signed and dated. I now understand my quilting teacher being on at us to label things.  How to wash it though. I don't want to ruin it. But I would like it not grubby. Dilemma.


2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could use some of that gentle soap that is recommended for quilts (something like Orvis? I can't remember). I would do it by hand and gently swish it in the water. You might have to do it several times. I have some old quilts made by my grandmother that need to have hand oils removed too. Your post has now reminded me of that fact. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree definitely hand washing is the way to go. I need to find a gentle detergent. I will do more goggling.

    ReplyDelete